Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Further explanations for "an old hurt"

So, based on the feedback I've been receiving for my post "Opening up an old hurt: the importance of learning from your mistakes," it appears I need to clarify some of the details of the story.
  1. My Des News editor's comment was not directed at me, it was just a remark he made in our writer's meeting a couple weeks ago after he assigned deadlines to us for some of our stories. To quote the full quote: "Sports reporters know how to make deadlines. That's why Trent never misses one, because he was a sports reporter for so many years."

    After he said that, I immediately thought to myself, I was a sports reporter, and felt proud. It wasn't until later, the day I wrote "an old hurt," that I realized how terrible I really was at making deadlines in the beginning. (I realized this as I was searching the Web for URLs of my old sports stories to update my newsreel, and it struck me so deep I stopped in the middle of my Web searching and wrote that post.)

  2. The editor who pulled me aside and told me I wasn't meeting expectations was a full-time adult staff member, not the professor who was teaching the Daily Universe class. A quick lesson on DU hierarchy: the professor teaching the DU class doubled as editor-in-chief of the paper. Under him were three full-time adult editors, one for digital, one for sports, and one for everything else. Below them were an army of older journalism students employed as editors, designers, and more. Note this hierarchy has been revised since the Daily Universe became simply the Universe.
Any more questions, feel free to ask me. And for the record, just in case this wasn't clear in "an old hurt," I bear no ill will towards the sports editor who pulled me aside and told me I could do better. I hope I'll be able to carry his lesson with me my whole life. I also hope none of my current or future editors will ever be shy about telling me how I can improve.

1 comment:

  1. Your humility will be a strength. I'm proud of my girl. :)

    ReplyDelete